Sunday, July 10, 2016

Idea Napkin No. 2

1) You. Who you are. What your talents are. What your skills and experiences are. Also: what are your aspirations? Specifically regarding your business concept, how do you see this business (if you were to start it) playing a role in your life?

I am Chris Parrish, a senior at UF.  My talents are seeing opportunities and finding ways to make something out of them.  I currently own my own business which specializes in customs coatings on firearms and the manufacturing of firearms.  We also to retail sales. This has given me a great deal of experience with all of the things that it actually takes to run a business from taxes and accounting to quality services and customer satisfaction.  My aspirations for the project in this class is for everyone to know what the product I am creating is and have the opportunity to get a mattress that cools itself.  It would play a major role in my life because I would be involved with every aspect of the business.

2) What are you offering to customers? Describe the product or service (in other words, how you'll solve customers' unmet needs).

My product is a mattress that has vent channels and it sends cool air through them to the side of the mattress that you are sleeping on.  So instead of your mattress heating up and making you too hot at night, you will sleep comfortably under your sheets. 

3) Who are you offering it to? Describe, in as much detail as possible, the demographic and psychographic characteristics of your customers. Think especially of this question: what do your customers all have in common?

I believe my product works for almost everyone.  The majority of people get hot at night while they sleep so there is a pretty broad market. There will probably be more buyers in the southern United States simply because of how much hotter it is for more of the year.

4) Why do they care? Your solution is only valuable insofar as customers believe its valuable to them. Here, explain why customers will actually pay you money to use your product or service. 

They care because they will be able to get a better nights rest instead of waking up from being hot.  It will also save them money because they won't have to turn the air down so far in their house to be able to get the same good night's sleep.

5) What are your core competencies? What sets you apart from everyone else? Also: what do you have that nobody else has? 

I have the willingness to take the risk to create a business which is what I believe holds a lot of people back.

I believe that all of these elements fit together and that I have the ability to create a successful business out of this if I did it in the real world.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Chris!

    I was not assigned to give comment feedback on your original Idea Napkin assignment, but reading it now I am in love with this idea. Personally, I need a room to be freezing or I will not be able to sleep. I think this also has huge potential in pillows because everyone loves a the cold side of the pillow. I also completely agree that risk is a major factor in preventing people to take the next step. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Chris,
    I think that this is definitely a great idea. I always sleep with a fan on at night because it gets too hot. I know that a lot of people do this or they have the A/C set really low. I think that a mattress that kept cool would be a huge success especially hear in the south.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris,

    I definitely think a self cooling mattress would be extremely helpful, especially in our home state Florida. I have some questions:
    Does the mattress have a temperature setting or is it automatic/simpler than that like a mattress that just breathes good?
    Would you market it up north or only in the hotter states like here?
    Are their similar products? What's your competition?

    Angie

    http://mynewbloggerblog10.blogspot.com/2016/07/idea-napkin-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris,

    I remember your idea from earlier in the semester and I still like it a lot. I get hot all the time while sleeping and would definitely be interested in this product. I know some people are skeptical as far as where the product would sell best, but I think it would sell everywhere. People sweat a lot when they sleep, and it really doesn't matter how hot or cold it is outside their homes. Overall I think you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris,

    I did not get to see your original idea napkin post but I think that this is a great idea! I tend to get too hot at night and end up not getting a great nights sleep becuase of it. Anything that can help people get more sleep would be very welcome! People need to be more alert and ready in this world that keeps getting busier and busier.
    http://jrscottratt.blogspot.com/2016/07/idea-napkin-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete