Opportunity
One of the most annoying and uncomfortable things is when I
wake up hot and sweaty in the middle of the night. I have learned that a lot of other people
experience this too. Some people can’t
afford to keep their A/C at 68 degrees and others have issues of other people
not being comfortable with the air so cold.
But when you get under all your sheets at night your body warmth can
make it very hot and you end up waking up sweating. This isn’t necessarily limited to certain
geographic locations, but it definitely is more of an issue in the south with
the hotter exterior temperatures. Right
now there are some gel products on the market that help to keep the mattress
cool but they don’t always work great and a lot of people aren’t happy with
them. I believe this opens the door for
a big opportunity to design the right type of mattress to fight the issue of
becoming too hot while you sleep. This opportunity
will be open until the competitors can come up with something better than the
gel mattress.
Innovation
My product is a mattress that incorporates venting channels
throughout the mattress with cooling fans underneath to allow the circulation of
air under your sheets. Most people sleep
with the fan in their room on, and while this does help circulate the air and
keep it cool, it doesn’t solve the problem of the warm air stuck underneath our
sheets from our body temperature. We
sleep better while we are fully covered with sheets because it provides a sense
of security and it more comfortable. So
the solution is to simply allow channels throughout the mattress, underneath
the top pillow sheet, to give a cooling sensation so the mattress doesn’t heat
up so much. One of the biggest types of
mattresses this is a problem in, is memory foam. Due to the density of the mattress, it holds
heat extremely well. And we hate giving
up memory foam because it is so comfortable.
These mattresses would sell competitively at 300-600 dollars.
Venture Concept
The mattress will solve customers’ problems by allowing the
air underneath their sheets to circulate and also keep the mattress cool.
Customers will switch when they learn that there is finally a good solution to
their problem. Everyone cares about how
good they sleep and no one wants to wake up or get a bad night’s sleep from
being too hot. Other mattress companies
are the competitors and they have the gel product but nothing similar to
this. Packaging doesn’t really effect
this much because of what it is. What
would help are good displays showing how the mattress works and what exactly it
does. I would have a manufacturing
facility with probably 10-20 employees on the floor with the manufacturing process
and another 10 senior employees working on sales and distribution.
1.
I could patent the mattress and make competitors
unable to duplicate it.
2.
A pillow that has cooling vents with gel inside
would be a good next step.
3.
I would either like to license it to a big
mattress company after I patent it or be the CEO and run the company.
Hi Christopher,
ReplyDeleteI am currently going through the exact problem! My friend is currently subleasing a room in my apartment and I noticed that she dislike having the AC down at night. There are times when I wake up sweating late at night and have to get out of bed to turn the AC on and have it turned off within some hours from my friend. I believe you concept venture is a great idea! Here is the link to my app: http://yessiblogging.blogspot.com/2016/07/venture-concept-no-1.html
Christopher,
ReplyDeleteAs most people in Florida, I always get very hot at night. My previous apartment had 'unlimited' utilities so I always kept my room at 68 degrees without the fear of an outrageous bill. Now at home though it cost way too much money to keep an entire house this cold. A bed like this would solve my problem that many other people have.
Here is the link to my post.
http://norrisufent.blogspot.com/2016/07/venture-concept-no-1.html
Hey Christopher,
ReplyDeleteI like your idea because like you and many others, I too sometimes wake up sweating. This an uncomfortable feeling as ideally I would want to wake up cool and refreshed. Also heat causes you to sweat and produce more grease for your face, so that could also help solve some acne problems. I wonder why no one has done something about this. I like that you have all this planned out/ Good job! Check my blog at http://jpmorgan15.blogspot.com/
Regards,
Juan Parra