1. More than 4,000 GRU customers lose power in storm
http://www.gainesville.com/article/20160520/ARTICLES/160529989/1002/news01?Title=Trees-down-power-down-after-storm-blows-through
GRU had a mass power outage today following the storm.
The problem was above ground lines being hit with all of the tree fall due to the storm.
GRU as well as their customers have a problem.
2. Optimism and Issues at Alachua County Business Forum
http://www.gainesville.com/article/20160519/ARTICLES/160529999/1002/news01?p=3&tc=pg
County commissioners are at opposing views on whether growth for the county is a good thing or not. With that being said, there is one major issue that restricts economic growth with manufacturing in the county. Manufacturing companies don't like high utilities because they use a lot of electricity and this increases their cost.
This causes problems for a wide range of people. Large amounts of tax revenue from large companies increase the county budget and allows for improvements. County wide growth is important.
3. Area unemployment rate lowest since 2008
http://www.gainesville.com/article/20160520/ARTICLES/160529979/1002/news01?Title=Area-unemployment-rate-lowest-since-2008
While the article as a whole is great, there is a sector that could be even better. Manufacturing is the fastest growing for jobs in Alachua county and we are hindering that with high utilities.
The workforce is affected.
4. Real estate inventory down, prices up in April
http://www.gainesville.com/article/20160520/ARTICLES/160529980/1003/NEWS?Title=Real-estate-inventory-down-prices-up-in-April-
Home sales have jumped 17% compared to last year. Part of the reason due to a low inventory of lower prices homes. This caused people to spend a little more than they usually would which increased home sales by 44% between 200 and 250k. This issue here is low inventory of low end homes which hurts the buyer.
5. Faculty spouse recommends state buy bullet-proof lecterns
http://smartboard.blogs.gainesville.com/2015/11/faculty-spouse-recommends-state-buy-bullet-proof-lecterns-for-profs/
As another option for those who are opposed to campus carry, a professor's wife has proposed that universities use bullet-proof lecterns.
The issue with this is it would cost about 60 million and actually offer very little protection to the professor and absolutely no protection to the students.
Chris,
ReplyDeleteI liked the articles you chose. Good job.
Hey Chris,
ReplyDeleteI like to see we had a similar post! The storm that hit Gainesville and shut off thousands of peoples electric. The GRU stated that a tree knocked down a power line. I say that if power lines were built under the ground, we would not have this problem! Your other articles were good and not sad or bad. Many things in the news are bad and I am glad you found good opportunities to make.
Hi Chris,
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting to hear that home sales have increasing. I guess it probably makes sense as the housing market is still rebounding from the recession quite a while ago. Bullet proof lecterns seem nice in theory, but it's understandable that idea is ridiculously expensive and as a result, not very practical. I wasn't in Gainesville for the storm but I heard it was pretty awful! It's interesting that manufacturing jobs are increasing at any rate. I thought the increased automation of most production facilities would result in less manufacturing jobs. Here is my blog post: http://jaredpape.blogspot.com/2016/05/identifying-local-opportunities.html
Hey Christopher,
ReplyDeleteWell I'll be looking at each article you posted and comment on my reflection on the articles.
So for the first article, I remember last week seeing such heavy rainfall that I was in disbelief. I don't look at the weather every often so I got a wake up call and missed the memo to bring an umbrella. Also, I didn't know the storm was that severe that is caused trees to fall and people to be without power. Florida weather am I right?
For the second article, I couldn't agree more with this article. Some of my professors and myself feel like the monopoly that GRU has in Gainesville is ridiculous. GRU is the only utilities company and they charge an exaggerated amount for utilities that often leaves customers very dissatisfied. This monopoly is limit innovative businesses from rising as they feel discouraged by GRU prices, and decide to invest elsewhere. This city has so much potential.
For the third article, this is great news to hear that the unemployment rate is slowly declining here in Gainesville. I'm not too surprised as the university and things associated with it allow many people job opportunities. UF is such a great thing for the city of Gainesville.
For the fourth article, well this is not surprising to me. I have noticed that many homes here are relatively older and not as modern. People who are looking for new homes and are on a budget feel more inclined to choose homes of lower prices, which in turn forces the availability to lower and shifts prices of other homes up. Basic principle of Supply and Demand.
For the final article, I was an interesting read. I for one am against people being allowed to carry their concealed weapons on campus. I feel like this will create a felling of uneasiness and hostility among many student, faculty, and staff on campus. In the article it was noted that 73% of Floridians were also against this proposed legislation. This should show that more than the majority of people do not agree with people being allowed to carry concealed weapons on campus.
Well after reading all your articles I could say that they were very interesting to read. They covered various topics surrounding Gainesville. If you would like to read some other news about Gainesville visit my blog at http://jpmorgan15.blogspot.com/.
Hey Christopher,
ReplyDeleteWell I'll be looking at each article you posted and comment on my reflection on the articles.
So for the first article, I remember last week seeing such heavy rainfall that I was in disbelief. I don't look at the weather every often so I got a wake up call and missed the memo to bring an umbrella. Also, I didn't know the storm was that severe that is caused trees to fall and people to be without power. Florida weather am I right?
For the second article, I couldn't agree more with this article. Some of my professors and myself feel like the monopoly that GRU has in Gainesville is ridiculous. GRU is the only utilities company and they charge an exaggerated amount for utilities that often leaves customers very dissatisfied. This monopoly is limit innovative businesses from rising as they feel discouraged by GRU prices, and decide to invest elsewhere. This city has so much potential.
For the third article, this is great news to hear that the unemployment rate is slowly declining here in Gainesville. I'm not too surprised as the university and things associated with it allow many people job opportunities. UF is such a great thing for the city of Gainesville.
For the fourth article, well this is not surprising to me. I have noticed that many homes here are relatively older and not as modern. People who are looking for new homes and are on a budget feel more inclined to choose homes of lower prices, which in turn forces the availability to lower and shifts prices of other homes up. Basic principle of Supply and Demand.
For the final article, I was an interesting read. I for one am against people being allowed to carry their concealed weapons on campus. I feel like this will create a felling of uneasiness and hostility among many student, faculty, and staff on campus. In the article it was noted that 73% of Floridians were also against this proposed legislation. This should show that more than the majority of people do not agree with people being allowed to carry concealed weapons on campus.
Well after reading all your articles I could say that they were very interesting to read. They covered various topics surrounding Gainesville. If you would like to read some other news about Gainesville visit my blog at http://jpmorgan15.blogspot.com/.